The CORE++ project
This project will study the influence of new spectrum sharing concepts on the mobile communications networks and the required new testing solutions from business, regulation, and technology perspectives and trial selected algorithms and concepts.
The project will build upon the trial environment developed in the preceding CORE/CORE+ projects in 2011-2014 to develop cross-industry end-to-end ecosystem trials of the new concepts/methods and to present the results to research, regulation and business domains.
CORE++ demos at WInnComm-Europe 2016 in Paris 11-12 October 2016
CORE++ project will present 2 demos in WInnComm-Europe 2016 conference in Paris on 11-12 October 2016: “Rapidly Deployable Network Concept with Licensed Shared Access System“ and “Field Trial of Citizens Broadband Radio Service (CBRS) / Spectrum Access System (SAS)”.
The King and Queen of Norway visited CORE++ demo stand 9 September 2016!
CORE++ project had a live demo of CBRS/SAS trial at 5G demo day at Nokia premises in Oulu Finland during 8-9 September 2016. The King and Queen of Norway visited there on 9 of September!
CORE++ won the Best Demo Award at European Wireless 2016 conference!
CORE++ project's live demo of CBRS/SAS trial won the Best Demo Award at European Wireless 2016 conference 18-20 May 2016 in Oulu, Finland!
Mobile World Congress 2016!
CORE++ LSA as one of the VTT's demos live at Barcelona
Evolution of trialling activities in CORE, CORE+ and CORE++ projects 2013-2016
Mailstones of the research
CORE+: VTT, University of Oulu and Centria participated in the Tekes project Cognitive Radio Trial Environment + (CORE+, 2013-2014) which further developed the CORE trial environments and showcased the world’s first live LSA trials in 2013. The project showed several consecutive LSA trials in Europe, US and Asia, and had a pioneering role in the development of the new LSA concept with up to 20 scientific publications and communication of the results to regulation and standardization fora.The project also conducted Active Antenna System (AAS) field tests, co-primary spectrum sharing trials, business studies and contributed to spectrum regulation. The CORE+ project has been ended by 31.3.2015.
CORE: VTT, University of Oulu and Centria have participated in the Tekes project Cognitive Radio Trial Environment (CORE, 2011-2012) which developed trial environments for cognitive radio systems (CRSs) by introducing CRS features to the research facilities provided by the research partners. Project contributed significantly to international spectrum regulation to promote specrum sharing at International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication sector (ITU-R). Project also investigated to business aspects including scenarios and business models.
- The LSA trial environment is demostrated at VTT 26th of February, 2015.
- Get CORE+ LSA work summary and references from here
- 3-4 December 2014. ETSI RSS workshop in France demonstrated personal video incumbent and its protection by evacuating macro and small cells when needed in mobile LSA scenario.
- 9-12 September 2014. LSA performance was measured for both single sector evacuation and emergency evacuation (5 sectors). Results are reported in The ninth meeting of ECC PT FM52 on LSA trials in Amersfoort, the Netherlands.
- June 11-13 LSA Show in Mobile Asia Expo, GSMA Asia in Venue of Expo-Comm, Shanghai. LSA Trial demonstration.
- LSA Demo posters
- June 9-10 2014 LSA Show in GTI Workshop, Sheraton Pudong Hotel, Shanghai. LSA Trial demonstration.
- June 2-4 2014: LSA papers and demonstration CrownCom 2014 conference in Oulu, Finland
April 2014. LSA papers and demonstration stand in DySPAN, McLean, VA USA.
- 3.9.2013 LSA Trial Workshop. Helsinki, Finland.
CORE+ project demonstrated the LSA spectrum sharing trial with a real incumbent data, LSA Repository, a real 4G/LTE base station and LTE core network.
- 25.4.2013 CORE+ project demonstrated the World’s first spectrum sharing trial based on LSA concept with 4G/LTE.
The following presentation highlights the LSA live trials, so far...
Check this screen recording from the live LSA trial, it shows multi-sector evacuations with different incumbent types.
About the CORE+ project
Project name: Cognitive radio trial environment+
Project's short name: CORE+
Project number: 81837 (VTT)
Duration 2 years, 2013-2014
We aim to
- Enchance CORE intelligent controller solutions and
- demonstrate them using real equipment..
- Perform interface and performance measurements on selected use cases.
- Contribute on CRS related regulation.
More information on CORE+ project:
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
Senior Scientist, Pekka Aho,
tel. +358 40 849 9525